I love my husband because he will watch Gilmore Girls with me when it’s Monday, and I’m tired, and all I want to do is pretend we live in Stars Hollow. And I love Gilmore Girls because Lorelai and Rory talk at the same speed as my sister and I. And they love to eat. And I love to eat. And that’s why Gilmore Girls is my favorite television show of all time. I watch all 7 seasons about once a year. Crazy? Maybe so. But I’m happy.
So now that we’re on the topic of food, let’s talk about Oreo cupcakes. I found this recipe for Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookie Cake on the ol’ Pinterest. I decided to make it for an outdoor gathering. But clearly eating cake outside (while possibly standing up), is not the easiest thing in the world. So I opted to make cupcakes instead. I’d say it was a good choice. Lorelai and Rory would approve.
- 1 package devil's food cake mix
- 4 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate
- ¼ cup butter
- 8 oz. ⅓ reduced fat cream cheese
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups thawed whipped topping
- 12 Oreos, coarsely crushed
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cake batter as directed on package. Divide between 24 muffin cups. Bake as directed and cool completely.
- Microwave butter and chocolate in a small bowl until butter is melted (if you don't have a microwave, melt on medium-low heat on the stove). Set aside to cool. Beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer until blended. Stir in whipped topping and crushed cookies.
- Cut each cupcake in half. Spread bottom half with cream cheese mixture and replace the cupcake top. Spread each cupcake top with chocolate glaze. Top with half an Oreo. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*adapted from Kraft Foods
It’s like eating an Oreo, on top of a giant Oreo with the consistency of a cupcake. Crazy.