This should come as no surprise to anyone, but I love chocolate. I may or may not live a life controlled by my sweet tooth. And it’s time to face the fact that Pinterest is an enabler in my life of addiction. Also to blame? Tastespotting, which I believe led me to this particular chocolate indulgence (which I then pinned in hopes of spreading my addiction to others. You’re welcome.). I check out Tastespotting on a daily basis, generally while sipping my morning coffee. It’s a good routine. Totally healthy.
Anywho, let’s get back to chocolate. Last night I was craving something chocolatey. I had pinned this recipe for Fudgy Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars a few months ago. And I literally look at it once a week and then talk myself out of baking it. But I knew that we needed to make something to take to small group tonight, and the idea of sharing this decadent dessert with a few others, rather than eating a 13 x 9 pan full of dessert by ourselves, gave me a bit of comfort. So I baked. At 10 p.m. (if you know me, you know how impressive it is that I was even awake at 10 p.m., much less that I was cognitive enough to bake). That’s how much I wanted to eat these things.
Of course, this is one of those recipes that is supposed to cool completely before you eat it so that it doesn’t just fall apart in a heap on your plate, so I, being the rule follower that I am, waited until this afternoon to take the first taste.
Oh. My. Goodness.
So much chocolate. So much toffee. So much goodness.
Let me tell you about the 3 layers happening in these bars.
On the bottom, a layer of graham cracker crumbs and toffee bits. In the middle, melted dark chocolate chunks. On top, chocolate chip cookie dough, graham crackers, and toffee bits.
You need these. But first, go buy a gallon of milk. You’re going to need that too.
- ½ cup butter, melted (1 stick)
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 8 oz. bag toffee bits
- 1 roll refrigerated cookie dough
- 10 oz. bag dark chocolate chunks
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a 13x9 baking dish and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Go ahead and let that cookie dough sit out to get nice and soft.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the melted butter, 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs, and ¾ cup toffee bits. Spread evenly in the bottom of the pan and press down until the whole bottom is covered. Stick the pan in the fridge while you complete the next step.
- In a small saucepan, heat the sweetened condensed milk, dark chocolate chunks, and tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Stir frequently until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Spread this mixture over the graham cracker crumb mixture.
- In a medium bowl (save yourself some dirty dishes and use the same bowl from step 1), break up the cookie dough and stir in the remaining ½ cup graham cracker crumbs. Crumble the mixture evenly over the chocolate layer. Sprinkle the remaining ¾ cup toffee bits on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely before eating.
*adapted from Family Bites
How could this not taste awesome, right? Right.
And just so you know, I’m trying to bake/cook/create more of the things I’ve pinned, rather than just live a second life on Pinterest (you should check out all the stuff I’ve pinned for our imaginary house). Let’s hope for lots of success stories in the weeks to come!