Our last few hikes have involved a wonderful snack: bacon krispy bars.
My pal, Megan, introduced us to this magic back in June during our Green Lakes hike. I have no idea if these actually provide any additional energy for long hikes, but eating cinnamon and bacon brings me a lot of joy, so we can call it a win either way.
When you’re climbing up the side of the South Sister, it’s good to know you have a little bacon snack in your pocket.
- 4½ cups cinnamon toast cereal
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 tbsp butter
- Combine first five ingredients in a bowl. In a 4-quart pot, melt butter. Add marshmallows and melt over medium heat, stirring continuously. As soon as marshmallows are fully melted, remove from heat. Add cereal mixture, and stir with a rubber scraper until well incorporated. Transfer to a 9-inch square baking dish, pressing down until the top is relatively level, without smashing the cereal pieces.
- Allow bars to cool at room temperature for at least an hour. Don't refrigerate, as that will cause the bars to harden. (They'll last about 5 days without refrigeration.)
- Cut into 9 squares and wrap each bar in plastic wrap.
Go forth and eat bacon.